Monday, September 10, 2012

My 1st Craft Soiree!

Hello world! Roma again here, I'm starting a new blog dedicated to my shop Roma Amor. It's where I sell my hand-made fashion accessories. You can also check out my FB page here.

I'll be posting about my past works and new items here. Things happening behind the scenes, like how I make the accessories and what inspired the design. And also challenging projects I'd receive from clients and places where Roma Amor had and will go to. :)

For my first entry, I would like to share my first Craft Soiree! It was so fun that I would like to join more! The soiree was held at Pipino Restaurant, a vegan restaurant in Q.C. Coming from a person who lives in Paranaque, the long commute going there was sooo worth it. The event was created by Ms. Alessa Lanot, who also loves arts and crafts and owner of Pipino Restaurant.



We were served a wonderful lunch: Vegetable Curry with Couscous, Tofu Lemongrass Skewers, Mushroom Salpicao and lastly which I think is Pasta Puttanesca. I totally loved the mushroom salpicao, which is garlic-y and the tofu lemongrass skewers! Love the tofu! And we also had a vegan cupcake (sorry forgot what kind of cupcake it was)...




For the program proper, let me explain first how the Craft Soiree works. So, what is Craft Soiree all about?
It is a gathering of people who (1) make things & (2) want to make things. There will be a brunch craft exchange for the crafters, where we all get to talk, hangout, and exchange our handmade gifts. Whether you make beautiful calligraphy, framed artworks, sewed stuffed toys, quilted linens, or recycled and upcycled home accents, as long as it is handmade and made by YOU, then you are most welcome to join the craft exchange! (from Ms. Alessa's blog)

For this Craft Soiree, I exchanged 2 braided bracelets and 1 mushroom keychain.



Here's the crafts I received from fellow crafters! :)
 1. April - clay magnets & cell charm, which came with this crafty box.

2. Manzy - brass ring, post cards and stickers. I absolutely love the envelope she made here with rubber stamp designs, makes me want to make my own. :)

3. Ella - knitted coasters

4. Imana - plushies! I like this one very much, especially I got one in my fave color. We were so amazed with what she made for us.

This pink one is Jenni's, my seatmate


5. Maan (pop.junk.love) - twisted wire pendant for necklace
*Just a side note, her sister's name is Roma also! It was kind of weird meeting another Roma, since our name is not very common. She was also there but in another group.


6. Fozzy - calligraphy letters

7. Jenny - crocheted accessories. I got a necklace!

 8. Angela - illustrations on diskette

9. Alessa - watercolored stickers. I also like this one very much. I've always loved collecting stickers since I was young and this is a wonderful addition to my collection.

Everyone I think brought extra items for the soiree as raffle prizes, that we ended up getting another craft to take home. I rushed quickly to the raffle prizes and I took this one from Mikko. It's a cute crocheted earrings but I just love the origami box that she made. I liked it so much that I made some boxes myelf! (I'll post about this next time).

 And here is Sevy wearing my Mickey Mouse inspired necklace. She got it as a raffle prize. :)


Jenni, my seatmate, showing off the bracelets I exchanged for the Craft Soiree.


We were supposed to exchange 10 gifts as there are supposed to be 4 groups of 10 people. But only 27 confirmed and came so we were 9 per group. Alessa suggested that we'd just pin the 10th item on the cork board.

 Here are some some of the works from the groups:
* From Victoria, paper bouquets.

* From Jamie, illustrated cards. So cool!

* From Trey, crocheted accessories. There were a lot of crocheters in the Soiree, and it was amazing that a craft like this is enjoyed by young people and not only done by grannies.

When I got home, I took a picture of Red (that's what I call her now) with the accessories that I got from the Craft Soiree. I can't wait for the next one!

A nice quote from Alessa:

It felt so good going to this Craft Soiree. Meeting new people that are like me makes me feel that I'm not alone and that I know young people are still appreciative of crafting. Even though the world is becoming more modern, we still appreciate the beauty of hand-made.


*If you want to see more from the other crafters you can also check out Alessa's blog Life After Breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment